Friday 7 August 2015

Rest in peace Dexter

I'm feeling very sad at the moment. My dearest companion Dexter suffered a stroke last night and two further strokes today. After the third one he'd lost the use of his back legs completely, his head was titlted to the left and the left side of his face was drooping.

Even before I called the vet it was more than obvious that I was losing him. He was still quite attentive, but the sparkle in his eyes had gone. Shortly after 6.30 this evening the vets eased his pain and sent him on his way just a couple of weeks before his 14th birthday.



Dexter was a very, very special friend. He saw me through the worst period of my life health-wise, and without his loving care and attention I probably wouldn't be here now. He was a true life-saver in every sense of the word, a hero.

My final words to him were almost the same words I'd say to him every night before he went to sleep:

"Goodbye big fella. Love you. Couldn't have done it without you buddy. I'm gonna miss you you big old bear."

I'm completely heartbroken at the moment, but I'm also content in the knowledge that he's no longer in pain, that he's no longer suffering. But just looking at this photo of him brings me close to tears.

Rest in peace old friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment