Sunday 30 June 2013

Bruce Buffer: It's Time! - Book Review

If you’re a fan of mixed martial arts then you’ll know who Bruce Buffer is. To the thousands who attend UFC shows and the millions watching around the world he’s the veteran voice of the Octagon, the man who imbues every fight he introduces with boundless energy and endless enthusiasm.

But who is Bruce Buffer exactly? What made him the man he is today? How did he come to be associated with the UFC, and how did he become one of the most recognisable faces ever to step foot into a cage, even though he isn’t a fighter?


Well, I found this out, and a whole lot more, by reading his self-penned biography It’s Time!, and I have to tell you it’s a hell of a story.

Even though there’s no proverbial “humble beginning” to his story this book tells the tale of a man determined to succeed in every facet of life, a man who has, for the most part, achieved all of the goals he has set for himself. As a writer Buffer comes across as a very personable chap, as a man who is driven, and as a man who is willing to openly discuss everything about his life.

There’s some great stories in her from his time in the UFC, my own personal favourite being his scuffle with Frank Trigg in a lift as Dana White looked on. I won’t spoil the result for you, but let’s just say that it isn’t listed on Sherdog.

Now as good as those stories are the segments I found the most interesting were those about his family and his business life. I couldn’t help but feel impressed with the success he’s achieved in the business world. But all of that is far outweighed by my admiration of his loyalty and love he displays for his family and close friends.

While this is only the second MMA-related biography I’ve read it’s definitely one of the best bios of any kind I’ve ever set my eyes upon. Buffer’s writing style is quite similar to his vocal style, and the aforementioned energy and enthusiasm have easily carried over onto the written page.

So as far as my overall conclusion is concerned if you’re an MMA fan then this is the book for you. I can’t recommend it enough, and that’s why I’m giving it the big thumbs up.

With thanks to Tommy Cabrera for supplying a copy of this release. Bruce Buffer: It’s Time! is available to buy wherever books are sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment